wishes

I wish I were a falcon, coasting on the breeze.

I wish I were an ant, methodical and obstinate.

I wish I were a shell, to be washed away to sea.

I wish I were tree, sturdy and shady.

I wish I were a table, battered but never bruised.

I wish I were a flower, soaking up the sun.

I wish I were a cat, lazy and adored.

I wish I were a snow leopard, hunting for a meal.

I wish I were a firefly, brining light where e’er I went.

I wish I were a general, respected and brave.

I wish I were a child, curious and naive.

I wish I were a runner, swift and strong.

I wish I were anything, really.

I wish I weren’t me.

1. ellen wrote:

‘zat’s an interesting poem. did you write it or am i being delusional?

Posted 13 Sep 2003 at 21:38
  2. thegirl wrote:

Maybe it is a peom, and not a poem. It is hardly very poetic. I wrote it, yes. I wrote it to express myself, so I suppose in that sense you could call it poetry. It follows my thoughts, and the sort of “duh-summary-epiphany” is the last two lines. Eek I need to get some sleep…

Posted 14 Sep 2003 at 01:51
  3. ellen again wrote:

no, that’s a poem.

poems are when you write about what you know and who you are.

peoms are when you deliberately try to sound poetic and obscure without actually knowing what you are talking about.

but i honestly couldn’t have said whether you had written it or found it out of some book somewhere. it’s poetic in a simple, “picture-book-that-you-still-enjoy-reading-ten-years-later” way

and it’s aeons better than Wallace Stevens

…the only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream, honestly!

Posted 14 Sep 2003 at 14:07
  4. rowyn wrote:

Thank you.

Posted 14 Sep 2003 at 23:56
  5. as long as we're using our rea wrote:

I was pretty convinced that it was whatshisface, the guy who did the giving tree…. uhm… gimme a sec… it’ll come in a mo… uhm… well… him. Something… crud, this is going to bother me for the rest of the day now… bullocks.

Posted 15 Sep 2003 at 15:02
  6. as long as we're using our rea wrote:

Posted 15 Sep 2003 at 15:02
  7. NOT ellen wrote:

Shel Silverstein.

Yah, i couldn’t think of who it would have been by.
    but if i had had to guess i would have prolly said him.

he’s that kind of poet.

Posted 15 Sep 2003 at 16:33
  8. NOT ellen wrote:

Shel Silverstein.

Yah, i couldn’t think of who it would have been by.
    but if i had had to guess i would have prolly said him.

he’s that kind of poet.